Not sure exactly what I should be calling this trip. To give it a new name it may be termed as a Rail-Road Trip. I don't have any specific reaction for this day. Normally it is a practice, one either notes down something good or something not so good. But this trip cannot be categorized in either of the two. But still as the day had come to an end I could only speak one line. And that is the Title for this post.
Circa September 2017. I had registered for an exam for BSNL. One thing I had in back of my mind, because of my previous experience, was about the one common exam centre. And that is one city per state. Few years ago when I had given the same exam, that time the centre was in Mumbai. That was the era when exams were conducted using paper pencil pattern. And this exam actually consumes your one full day. It consists of two papers of 3 hours each. One hour for Lunch break. And one hour each for verification process during both papers. That is more than a normal working day. So when I was filling up the form all the memories came as a flasback related to my last appearance. That time I had my centre in Mumbai (Thakur College). Almost all the buildings in the campus were filled with candidates as they had come from all over the state. I remember talking to a girl who was sitting behind me who had come from Nashik and was staying at one of her relatives place in this city. Well, talking because, people finish their papers before time. But you are not allowed to leave your exam halls as per the instructions. So, there, we could talk in whispers. Since I had my Roll Number in the Applied Arts building we had huge table as per the requirement of the future artists. So when paper is done and no topic to talk, a nap use to work. For lunch thanks to my home made chef, brother, I had asked him to prepare pasta the earlier night. Whereas i also brought Tutti Frooti Bread for breakfast. There were two reason behind this arrangement. I have a little good habit. I don't like when some one else has to do something for me. So the bread use to work for breakfast as tea is something I can prepare. And pasta shall assist me during the lunch. I remember having some pasta in the morning itself as I couldn't control my tongue. By this, mom need not have to take any trouble and I can be at peace because of that. Plus the tiffin ensured I don't have to spend outside as liquidity is a luxury I never have. In between these thoughts and occasionally coming in the present, I completed the form for this year. But during the entire process I didn't realise or thought for a second that I may have to travel to another city for the exam.
As the end of October neared, I got the notification to download the Hall Tickets. And from that day, immediately seven days later the exam was to be conducted. I was at my workplace. So just tried to login in my account to confirm whether the website works or not. Luckily it worked and I opened my HT. Everything was as per standard procedure. Reporting Time was 8 Am. Location for exam centre be anywhere, early reporting time means waking up early which also means sleeping early the previous night. So the site of reporting time had all these thoughts circling in my head. And then came the place for centre of examination. I ignored the college name as normally they are some or the other enginnering college located in the remotest location. So name was as such not going to make any difference. Eyes directly went in search of the end location. And a fraction of second the world stopped. PUNE. In those fraction of seconds I can't note down the number of thoughts which went through my head. Right from "If I am going so how things will be working, till what if I ignore and choose not to go."
This was like the Inception movie wherein I was living by my subconscious mind, too many things in hardly few seconds. When the jolt happened and I was snapped out of those thought, I was working on options to take print of the same. After few moments I talked with my a team member sitting behind me. Normally 2-3 PCs around me shall always be having the IRCTC website On. So I gave him the details and asked him to check for trains. The only one among the 2-3 options available was the a Passenger train. This one was a unique train. It was a set of two different trains, one going towards to Sai Nagar and other towards Pandharpur. Exactly 2 seats were seen available. I asked him to immediately book one for me. So now the mode of going till Pune station, atleast, was finalised. I wasn't aware though how to go ahead from there. And most importantly how to come back.
As the day neared, I use to go in dual minds sometimes whether to go or not to go. In the search of travel plans I did R&D through Google, the college website, the P-Indicator etc. Took notes for the buses and routes through which I need to travel, if there are direct routes or indirect routes. Then on the penultimate day I called up the college people and they finally gave me the route to reach the end destination.
From Pune station I was suppose to reach Swargate. From there next stop was Katraj. From here a share auto will drop me to Narhe Village which is the main location of the college. And finally from this drop point another 10 minute walk and I shall be at the gates of the college. Now while figuring out direct routes, I saw that Bus No. 294 shall take me almost till the Main Landmark of the college i.e. Pari Company. I forgot to mention above, the college which I am referring here is Zeal College of Enginnering and Research, Narhe Village, Near Pari Company, Pune. But the Bus No. 294 had one disadvantage. It's frequency was in 1.5 hours. So that was not even the last option, had noted just for records. Also if I had to skip any levels from the above mentioned, then there was a way by which I could directly reach Katraj from Pune station either by a share auto or bus. Yet, don't know why I chose to take all the stops. Because at the end of the day the travel time was going to be the same. So my way was finalised. My train shall be reaching Pune station at 4Am. Will do some TP around or wait at the station for sometime. Then maybe have some snacks and tea. Then start the travel as per the charter. Swargate halt was also necessary for one main reason. I had thoughts in back of my mind to travel by Shivneri or Hirkani (ST Buses) while coming home. So it was necessary to know where the depot is which will save sometime in searching the same in the evening. This original plan meant I shall be reaching the college by around 6:30 AM. Quite early then the reporting time. But if you have to travel 200kms then this is fair enough.
The D-Day arrived. With minimum essentials packed along with the necessary documentation. I left my house at 21:30. 22:55 was the train time. So I thought of reaching by around 22:30/40. I had to purchase hand sanitizer, some gum and ticket to CST. Did that in 10minutes, boarded the train and reached on time at CST. Train was supposed to arrive on Platform No 8. But currently it was empty. So I thought of doing what I am good at. Wandering around. In one corner, on the right side of the entry of express platforms, there is a plaque in the memory of 26/11 victims. I was just going through the names and clicked a picture of that memorial. Behind me, people were lying on the floor. Some sleeping, some eating, some chatting. Basically that is how one spends their waiting time. Amidst these thoughts I heard an engine roar in the background. And there it was. My savari had arrived.
As I had no company so there was no use of spending time around. I started walking towards my bogie. Normally the bogie numbers are displayed on the platform. But today they weren't. So I was looking at each of the dabba to search mine. Initially the Sainagar train bogies were attached. After that train ended Pandharpur trains bogies began. Ahead of some General bogies, finally I arrived at my compartment. It was completely dark. With the help of flash light I reached my area of seating. There was already a family sitting covering the entire area. Kids and wife were lying on the floor by putting a mat and husband was sitting on one of the seat. I told them that my seat is here can you please vacant the same. The lady directly says you can go and sit ahead. The entire train is empty. I said that is fine. You can take those empty ones. Please give me mine which is here. The husband got up and went ahead and showed me that see here it is empty you can sit here too. They were a poor family and since I was alone I didn't wish to argue more with them. Being alone, relocation won't make much of the difference. But to my luck or their bad luck, a group of 4-5 people came from the other end and they started telling them to vacate the seats as this bogie is for reservation and the General bogies are ahead. That family was again saying allow us, but it was for their good if they leave now as they could get some seats in the General compartment. Later the TC will ask them to shift and it will be more difficult as they were going to get down at the last station.
Circa September 2017. I had registered for an exam for BSNL. One thing I had in back of my mind, because of my previous experience, was about the one common exam centre. And that is one city per state. Few years ago when I had given the same exam, that time the centre was in Mumbai. That was the era when exams were conducted using paper pencil pattern. And this exam actually consumes your one full day. It consists of two papers of 3 hours each. One hour for Lunch break. And one hour each for verification process during both papers. That is more than a normal working day. So when I was filling up the form all the memories came as a flasback related to my last appearance. That time I had my centre in Mumbai (Thakur College). Almost all the buildings in the campus were filled with candidates as they had come from all over the state. I remember talking to a girl who was sitting behind me who had come from Nashik and was staying at one of her relatives place in this city. Well, talking because, people finish their papers before time. But you are not allowed to leave your exam halls as per the instructions. So, there, we could talk in whispers. Since I had my Roll Number in the Applied Arts building we had huge table as per the requirement of the future artists. So when paper is done and no topic to talk, a nap use to work. For lunch thanks to my home made chef, brother, I had asked him to prepare pasta the earlier night. Whereas i also brought Tutti Frooti Bread for breakfast. There were two reason behind this arrangement. I have a little good habit. I don't like when some one else has to do something for me. So the bread use to work for breakfast as tea is something I can prepare. And pasta shall assist me during the lunch. I remember having some pasta in the morning itself as I couldn't control my tongue. By this, mom need not have to take any trouble and I can be at peace because of that. Plus the tiffin ensured I don't have to spend outside as liquidity is a luxury I never have. In between these thoughts and occasionally coming in the present, I completed the form for this year. But during the entire process I didn't realise or thought for a second that I may have to travel to another city for the exam.
As the end of October neared, I got the notification to download the Hall Tickets. And from that day, immediately seven days later the exam was to be conducted. I was at my workplace. So just tried to login in my account to confirm whether the website works or not. Luckily it worked and I opened my HT. Everything was as per standard procedure. Reporting Time was 8 Am. Location for exam centre be anywhere, early reporting time means waking up early which also means sleeping early the previous night. So the site of reporting time had all these thoughts circling in my head. And then came the place for centre of examination. I ignored the college name as normally they are some or the other enginnering college located in the remotest location. So name was as such not going to make any difference. Eyes directly went in search of the end location. And a fraction of second the world stopped. PUNE. In those fraction of seconds I can't note down the number of thoughts which went through my head. Right from "If I am going so how things will be working, till what if I ignore and choose not to go."
This was like the Inception movie wherein I was living by my subconscious mind, too many things in hardly few seconds. When the jolt happened and I was snapped out of those thought, I was working on options to take print of the same. After few moments I talked with my a team member sitting behind me. Normally 2-3 PCs around me shall always be having the IRCTC website On. So I gave him the details and asked him to check for trains. The only one among the 2-3 options available was the a Passenger train. This one was a unique train. It was a set of two different trains, one going towards to Sai Nagar and other towards Pandharpur. Exactly 2 seats were seen available. I asked him to immediately book one for me. So now the mode of going till Pune station, atleast, was finalised. I wasn't aware though how to go ahead from there. And most importantly how to come back.
As the day neared, I use to go in dual minds sometimes whether to go or not to go. In the search of travel plans I did R&D through Google, the college website, the P-Indicator etc. Took notes for the buses and routes through which I need to travel, if there are direct routes or indirect routes. Then on the penultimate day I called up the college people and they finally gave me the route to reach the end destination.
From Pune station I was suppose to reach Swargate. From there next stop was Katraj. From here a share auto will drop me to Narhe Village which is the main location of the college. And finally from this drop point another 10 minute walk and I shall be at the gates of the college. Now while figuring out direct routes, I saw that Bus No. 294 shall take me almost till the Main Landmark of the college i.e. Pari Company. I forgot to mention above, the college which I am referring here is Zeal College of Enginnering and Research, Narhe Village, Near Pari Company, Pune. But the Bus No. 294 had one disadvantage. It's frequency was in 1.5 hours. So that was not even the last option, had noted just for records. Also if I had to skip any levels from the above mentioned, then there was a way by which I could directly reach Katraj from Pune station either by a share auto or bus. Yet, don't know why I chose to take all the stops. Because at the end of the day the travel time was going to be the same. So my way was finalised. My train shall be reaching Pune station at 4Am. Will do some TP around or wait at the station for sometime. Then maybe have some snacks and tea. Then start the travel as per the charter. Swargate halt was also necessary for one main reason. I had thoughts in back of my mind to travel by Shivneri or Hirkani (ST Buses) while coming home. So it was necessary to know where the depot is which will save sometime in searching the same in the evening. This original plan meant I shall be reaching the college by around 6:30 AM. Quite early then the reporting time. But if you have to travel 200kms then this is fair enough.
The D-Day arrived. With minimum essentials packed along with the necessary documentation. I left my house at 21:30. 22:55 was the train time. So I thought of reaching by around 22:30/40. I had to purchase hand sanitizer, some gum and ticket to CST. Did that in 10minutes, boarded the train and reached on time at CST. Train was supposed to arrive on Platform No 8. But currently it was empty. So I thought of doing what I am good at. Wandering around. In one corner, on the right side of the entry of express platforms, there is a plaque in the memory of 26/11 victims. I was just going through the names and clicked a picture of that memorial. Behind me, people were lying on the floor. Some sleeping, some eating, some chatting. Basically that is how one spends their waiting time. Amidst these thoughts I heard an engine roar in the background. And there it was. My savari had arrived.
As I had no company so there was no use of spending time around. I started walking towards my bogie. Normally the bogie numbers are displayed on the platform. But today they weren't. So I was looking at each of the dabba to search mine. Initially the Sainagar train bogies were attached. After that train ended Pandharpur trains bogies began. Ahead of some General bogies, finally I arrived at my compartment. It was completely dark. With the help of flash light I reached my area of seating. There was already a family sitting covering the entire area. Kids and wife were lying on the floor by putting a mat and husband was sitting on one of the seat. I told them that my seat is here can you please vacant the same. The lady directly says you can go and sit ahead. The entire train is empty. I said that is fine. You can take those empty ones. Please give me mine which is here. The husband got up and went ahead and showed me that see here it is empty you can sit here too. They were a poor family and since I was alone I didn't wish to argue more with them. Being alone, relocation won't make much of the difference. But to my luck or their bad luck, a group of 4-5 people came from the other end and they started telling them to vacate the seats as this bogie is for reservation and the General bogies are ahead. That family was again saying allow us, but it was for their good if they leave now as they could get some seats in the General compartment. Later the TC will ask them to shift and it will be more difficult as they were going to get down at the last station.
Finally after 5-6 people pursuing and explaining them did they decide to leave the bogie. I checked my number and was delighted to see it was window seat plus the window was emergency one. So you can also open the grill if you wish to see outside. I arranged my bag, took out my book and started scrolling around.
A couple of minutes later my next neighbours dropped in. At first I thought they were trying to locate their seats. One was saying this number is here, other saying the opposite and their disagreement just went on. This was too much distracting for me. Already my concentration power is too high when it comes to studies. And this one was adding more fuel to fire. So I decided to intervene. And told them just look for the red coloured numbers. Wherever that number is mentioned, that berth shall be yours. And then they started settling bringing in some peace. I wasn't intervening or for that matter even looking at anyone because of one simple reason. Mine was lower berth and to add to that I was alone. So a lone guy is normally assumed to be Lawaris in express train journey. You are alone, you can fit anywhere. We are in group so we need to be together. This kind of Lawaris. So my guards were already up. I was just waiting for a moment, to lift up the seat and sleep or atleast act like I am. These too much talking neighbours reality actually came up after the train started. They were some 7-8 people and tickets were 4. So starting a buttering conversation, offering something to eat and then asking for the seat could have been the normal trick. The ladies in the group did tell the guy in front of me that you sleep up and allow to us sleep here. Therefore I was least interested in having any conversation with anyone as that could have serious repurcussion. As the train moved from CST, this group opened their tiffin boxes. There was nothing to look outside. So I was having a good view of my book. I am not sure which station exactly, may be Dadar or Thane, these guys were done with their food. So took this opportunity and opened the seats, arranged my bag and acted like sleeping. This is actually the difficult part because Travel and Sleep don't go hand in hand for me. Surfing on mobile or listening to songs was not a luxury as my battery was already 79%. And I had a full day to spend. So I just switched off all my alarms and kept the phone in my pocket.
A couple of minutes later my next neighbours dropped in. At first I thought they were trying to locate their seats. One was saying this number is here, other saying the opposite and their disagreement just went on. This was too much distracting for me. Already my concentration power is too high when it comes to studies. And this one was adding more fuel to fire. So I decided to intervene. And told them just look for the red coloured numbers. Wherever that number is mentioned, that berth shall be yours. And then they started settling bringing in some peace. I wasn't intervening or for that matter even looking at anyone because of one simple reason. Mine was lower berth and to add to that I was alone. So a lone guy is normally assumed to be Lawaris in express train journey. You are alone, you can fit anywhere. We are in group so we need to be together. This kind of Lawaris. So my guards were already up. I was just waiting for a moment, to lift up the seat and sleep or atleast act like I am. These too much talking neighbours reality actually came up after the train started. They were some 7-8 people and tickets were 4. So starting a buttering conversation, offering something to eat and then asking for the seat could have been the normal trick. The ladies in the group did tell the guy in front of me that you sleep up and allow to us sleep here. Therefore I was least interested in having any conversation with anyone as that could have serious repurcussion. As the train moved from CST, this group opened their tiffin boxes. There was nothing to look outside. So I was having a good view of my book. I am not sure which station exactly, may be Dadar or Thane, these guys were done with their food. So took this opportunity and opened the seats, arranged my bag and acted like sleeping. This is actually the difficult part because Travel and Sleep don't go hand in hand for me. Surfing on mobile or listening to songs was not a luxury as my battery was already 79%. And I had a full day to spend. So I just switched off all my alarms and kept the phone in my pocket.
Normally I never carry sweater during trips and hence everytime I had to suffer in the Safar. So this time I made it a point to carry my hoodie. And it surely was an essential one. Night was too much chilled even when all the windows were closed. I remember before closing the window, I was seeing the moon traveling with me. I kept staring at it and all of a sudden felt an urge to write something. But mobile had its own limits, so I chose to shut my eyes.
The occasional naps did help. Though small but it gave the essential rest to spend a travel filled next day. And since seat was comfortable, there was no type of body pain. After one such power nap when I woke up I suddenly remembered that Aaee had given me Appey made from Daliya. Even on a normal night you are hungry. So here any which way I had to finish it. So opened the dabba and started eating a few.
It was around 3AM now. So I checked out the station and compared it with the schedule. I realized train was running an hour late. This was indeed a boon for me as any which way I had no clue what I was going to do after getting down at 4AM in the morning at Pune Station. So the late the better for me. Now instead of waking up at 3:30AM target time set was now 4:30 AM. So in that happiness took another small nap. Though I was bored already because I wasn't having pillow with me, still the forceable sleep was important.
Finally at around 4AM, I decided to freshen up. There were people sleeping near the door as well. One was a typical sadhu, seemed to me a direct import from Varanasi. And two other guys were there, just chatting around. I brought my bag as well with me as next station was Pune. Train halted at multiple signals for obvious reasons as Pune being a junction. We had opened the door as station was almost near. There was a guy sleeping on the top berth of the door. He was repeatedly saying Close the door. I could understand his pain. It indeed was chilly. But the sadhu shouted, "Kay bandh kar bandh kar, Pune aala na." As if that assurance was enough, he again went to sleep.
After the chilly 15minutes of signal, train reached the platform. I got down. No exit was visible so I started walking on the FOB. I was not sure I have to go to East or West. I just had a look at both sides. West looked quite while East was buzzing. Plus, almost everyone was turning towards the East. So I assumed this may be the way so let's go with the flow. Basically, time was a luxury I had. So even if I am wrong can always come back and get down on the West side.
Getting down I could see the ST depot. But that was not going to help me for local transport. Still tried my luck and asked for Swargate. He said go outside for local bus, the entire building is theirs. You will get bus there. So I walked out and reached the stop where maximum people were there. There also were many food stalls for Poha, Tea, Burji pav etc. But I didn't had any plans to eat the same at Pune Station. So was just waiting for the bus.
Around 3-4 buses went by. But none where going towards my way. Also I had written on a paper the numbers of buses from Pune to Swargate, Swargate to Katraj. But not a single bus was coming from that list. On the other hand I was finding buses whose numbers where not mentioned in the P-Indicator. So I was just doing my time. Auto rickshaw were there too. But was unsure what they will charge. So was staying a foot away. But the bus thing was not working. After to and fro rounds of the station road, no bus from my list was visible. Then some guy suddenly shouted from my left side, "Swargate vees rupaye." This deal worked. So I went and sat in the auto. In another 5-7 minutes the automan got his expected number of passengers and our flight took off.
I am not sure why, but I love to spell the name SWARGATE. Kind of feel good factor. Seems like a royal name. After a 20minutes ride we reached there. Forgot to mention I did had plans to walk till Swargate. Would have taken something above an hour. But good I cancelled it, coz the roads were totally empty. At Swargate, now first thing was to check the ST depot as I had planned to travel by Shivneri from here in the evening. After checking around for my return trip, there I asked one of the ST guy for bus stop to reach Katraj. He confirmed it's just outside towards the left of depot. So now mode of travel was done. Time for Breakfast. There were many stalls for Poha. So tried one and it did taste good. Reminded me of old Pune days breakfast.
Tummy was done, so I walked towards the bus stop. Here also the wait was way too long. I wonder why Mumbai is called fast paced. None, bloody no one, can match our speed. After 30-35 odd minutes wait, there came a bus towards Katraj. The buses are way too small and old. Anyways, luckily I got a seat. Ticket was Rs. 10/- I did tell the Conductor to alert me when stop comes. He said last stop. So I was relaxed.
From Katraj, the lady from Zeal College had guided me the remaining route when I had called her the previous day. She had told me look for share auto, you will find many, towards Narhe Village. And from there it is walkeable 10 Minutes. So as per her guidelines, I asked the automans standing there at Katraj, which one is for Narhe. They pointed towards a white TamTam. Luckily the guy had just arrived. I confirmed from him and sat on the first seat. Now again the waiting period till his auto seats are full. As I mentioned earlier time was a luxury I had so this was not going to hurt. Alone in the auto, I took out my book and started scrolling again. Few minutes later the more guys hopped in and so did the automan. So I closed my book and now was chatting with him. I asked him where shall I get auto while coming back from Narhe and he mentioned a location. So that part was also done. As the people filled in, he also asked me to shift inside as another guy joined me on the front seat. And thus this sawari also took off. Travel had been in many steps untill now. First. Train to CST, then Train to Pune, then Auto to Swargate, Then bus to Katraj. And now final Auto to Narhe. After another 25-30 minute reached the village. I paid him the Rs.10/- share and asked which way towards Zeal. He said just go straight and take right. I thanked him and started walking.
Enroute, my eyes were searching Chai wala. The one which I found, the tea tasted good. But it was not hot at the level I wanted and far less quantity. This tea was like 10% of what I have in the morning. But then, something is better than nothing. Google maps were On as these were small gullis. So I didn't wanted to lose myself somewhere. The first right was visible and as soon as I took that the college flag could be seen from a distance. At 730, I checked in the campus. This marked end of one way trip from Mumbai to Pune.
It was a big college with huge campus. Normally such things always reminds me of a Chetan Bhagat book in which he had explained how the protagonist with the help of a politician builds a huge college. This won't be anything different. I took the steps of a building which was for engineering, as my hall ticket said Zeal College of engineering, and was scrolling the book again. Not much time was left. Somewhere around 0815 the guy came and updated the notice board. I checked and noted my seat number alongwith room number.
The room was too much sunny and inspite of being an IT lab the AC was not working. So this was the bunker where I was going to spend my next 6 hours. After initial formalities I went to my seat. There was time to start. So I thought of taking a nap. As per schedule, first paper was from. 930-1230. And the reporting time for next was 1Pm. Which left only half an hour in the middle for lunch. This was going to be very difficult. And in hall ticket it was also mentioned that we were not supposed to leave the exam hall before time even if we finished the paper. But luckily these guys were a bit lineient. I was done by around 1145. So left the hall and walked down with my bag. While entering the campus I had seen a small hotel for Maharashtrian Thali. So thought of trying that. The best part of this small restaurant was it's cleanliness. Rarely one would find that in Mumbai. You have to keep your footwear outside before entering. There was ample space. Everyone will get the same item. Thali. It consisted of Roti, Aloo vegetable, Paneer vegetable, salad, Dal, rice, sheera. Had a tummy full meal. Also made use of the 30minute lunch. Charged my phone a bit. So from 59% brought it to 65. It had been almost 15hours and I had exhausted only 23% of battery. This indeed was an achievement. After the heavy lunch, decided to have a small walk in the campus as the time neared for next papers reporting.
The drill was same all over again. Verification, finger print, sign, seat number. Then relax for some time and kick off at 2Pm. This was lengthy so I consumed all the time. After submitting the rough papers I was out at Five from the exam hall. Picked up my bag and took stairs to the gate.
There was no time to waste now. Time was a luxury in the morning but not now. Had to ensure I reach as early as possible so could get sound sleep to be ready for the next working day. As instructed by the TamTam man in the morning, I walked the village road to reach the auto stand. Saw that morning tea stall again, but resisted the temptation. Swargate was the destination for snacks. From a distance I could see the TamTam filling up. But as I reached near, it was already full. So got the next one. Got down at Katraj. Unlike morning, now there were too many buses around. So I didn't thought about going through my list or checking P-Indicator. Directly asked a conductor, for a bus to Swargate. He pointed toward a bus behind me and said board that one. Got a comfortable seat and the bus was empty as well. In 10 minutes, the bus left.
Since I had my phone battery of around 55% I had the luxury to access the internet. I suddenly remembered that Swargate was close by from the place where I previously stayed back in 2010, Sarang Society Sahakar Nagar. So I just randomly checked in the maps. And Bingo. I was on the exact road where my library is located, where I use to have my morning breakfast, where I use to have all my tea breaks, where I saw the first movie in Pune city, where I use to have my lunch during my exam days. Wow, reliving those moments again. Even though it was for fraction of seconds as bus was in full speed. Like a gun, I had placed my phone on the window. The moment that mall arrived I randomly started clicking pics with a hope atleast one will give a clear view. A complete nostalgic moment.
The bus reached Swargate at 6Pm. I quickly reached the ST depot and touched down at FalatNumber 4 from where Shivneri buses are leaving for Thane. At first I was surprised looking at the rush but then realized being a Sunday evening, people will be lining up to reach Mumbai after the weekend. On the board they had mentioned in Marathi Pune to Thane Shivneri via Chandni chowk (Bina Vahak). I was surprised that India has progressed so much that we now have a bus without driver. I even tried to look inside the drivers cabin. There was a driver's seat. Then why they had written such a banner I didn't knew. There was a bus standing already ready to leave. It was scheduled to leave at 630. I had no intention to board this one because I wanted to eat something first. So went outside to search for some restaurant. Unfortunately there wasn't any nearby. So again had to check in some stall. I didn't wanted to get down at any halt once the bus begins so thought of having a heavy snack break. Chose the option of egg pulav, heavy item. Will keep me full till dinner late in the night. It was kind of good, a typical Chinese corner. No tea though. A record day actually for me, when in almost 20 hours I had just one small cutting chai.
After finishing the Rs. 40/- snack, I came and stood in the line for Ticket to Mumbai. The bus was supposed to leave at 7pm. So until and unless the bus doesn't arrive, the ticket counter won't start to sell tickets. So in the line I was checking here and there for some time pass. But there were no kids around. Couples were many which was a bit depressing. One of them was right behind me. And for them it was that time where the guy is leaving for Mumbai and girl is here to say Bye. One can imagine the level of chemistry which was On at that moment. I was just praying for the Conductor to arrive soon and free me from this torture. I remember when the guy boarded the bus he just kept his bag near his seat and went down again. Then as the bus started he was there at the door looking at the girl. And as the bus moved he made a point to look at her from every passing window.
Anyways, in this torture moment my brain worked and I finally decoded the banner. Bina Vahak means no conductor. But there will be a driver as driver means chalak. Wow, these days my brain is working in quite weird way. I came to know the ticket rate to Mumbai as I looked upon what the people in front were paying when there time came at the counter. It was 441/- uptill Thane. Suddenly there I made a rough calculation:
Mumbai to Pune - 100
Pune to Swargate - 20
Breakfast - 20
Swargate to Katraj and back - 20
Katraj to Narhe and back - 20
Tea - 7
Lunch - 60
Snacks - 40
Tictac & Hand Sanitizer - 45
All these totalled to Rs. 327/-. Whereas Swargate to Thane bus fare Rs. 441/-
Inspite of these statistics, I went ahead because I wanted a comfortable journey. And only Shivneri could assure me that. Took my ticket and small bottle which they give and ran towards the bus to check out my seat. Being alone I was just hoping I get a window and I did get one. Placed my bag in the top rack took my earphones and sat comfortably. Next Stop Mumbai.
In the bus beside me a lady joined in, in the later halt. I thought it will be a good company. But she gave a great example of being ab educated illiterate. Since the bus had arrived from a journey, so previous passengers had left there bottles in the seat. I also had it in my hook. I just removed it and kept it in the magazine holder. But this girl was a step ahead. Soon she checked in, she asked me Your Bottle. I said no. Immediately she removed it and throwed it on the bus floor. I was like, GREAT. No wonder that people like NaMo get opportunity to take money from our pockets in the name cess for cleaning the shit which we do on the road. In my entire journey I never looked at my right side or even thought of talking with her. Raj Thackeray was company for me as I was listening to his speech of the Padadhikari Melava which had happened a day before. With good amount of battery, now I had the luxury of internet.
Being night travel, though my curtains were open but visibility was not much. Nothing interesting happened in the journey. I wrote a small writeup. Some music. Some chats. That's it. As the city neared I was thinking where to get down. Should I go till the last stop i.e. Vandana Talkies. Then walk for 20 minutes till Thane station. Board the train and reach Bhandup. Or should I get down somewhere in the middle. Nothing was finalized as such. But when we reached the Airoli flyover, I saw a BEST bus. Suddenly a thought came in. I will get down here and search some mode of transport, either bus or auto, to reach home. So at the signal, I got up. Took my bag and said bye bye to Shivneri.
Now no idea how to go from here but being our home ground it was not going to be a problem. I just took the link road and was walking with an eye behind for any signs auto or bus. Suddenly I realized that if I walk some more distance on this road I shall reach Nahur station. And then without spending a rupee i shall be home by the quickest mode available. Well, it was short distance as per my parameters because I walked around 2000 odd steps. These days even distance in hours is in my list of possibles. Got down twoards the platform from the link road and boarded the train towards CST.
Next station, home. I reached exactly at 1130 which marked an end to the 26.5 hour journey.
PS: Until you are under a roof after leaving one, your day does not end, hence the caption.
-SR.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.