Wednesday, 8 January 2020

SRT Ultra Marathon

With the sun about to set on 2019, I just went through the count of my Blog posts in this year. Well nothing to be proud of for sure, as 50 was the target but the stats are too low to even mention it here. Something I hope to improve in the turn of the decade which is three weeks away from now. Lot of things happened this year. One post surely cannot sum up all the events for each event itself can be converted into one blog post at the least. It, indeed, was a good ride. Lot to be taken from the turn of events both at professional as well as personal front. Saw some more facets of human behaviour. With each year, you come to know how naive you are, how much you still have to learn, how much you still need to understand. There are still many sides which can be right which you may not have thought about up till now and there are still uncharted waters that are yet to be explored. Life is and will always be full of surprises. The day you stop defining things in the petty dictionary definition of Success and Failure, only that time you will be able to understand the puzzle of life.

Well, that much philosophy is enough for the day as my title of this post and the content of the above para are no way linked. So lets begin.

Just to keep the facts clear, though my title does say Ultra Marathon, but I didn't do the complete Marathon. My event category distance was 25Km, which is just above a Half Marathon. These days people use the term Marathon even if they run a 5Km race. Indeed, running or completing a 5Km event is also an achievement if you are beginner. But that doesn't justify using the term Marathon. A Marathon means you need to run 42.2 Km (26 Miles 385 Yards). Only when you have covered that distance can you use the term Marathon. I always use the term "Marathon Event" when I run the 10km or 15Km category. And specify it as "Half Marathon" when I complete the 21.1 Km Race. Ofcourse, to each their own views. And I cannot force mine on someone.

I started my running journey in mid December 2018. The only intention to begin this was to continue my journey of weight loss which started from July 2016. If you wish to lose weight, a year with consistency is enough to drop atleast 20 Kilos. But the challenge is to maintain the same throughout in the long term. Else the kilos shredded can come back in blink of an eye. So to change my routine I entered this running arena and from casual walking began the journey of jogging in the Marathon Events.

Some where during the monsoon I had registered for this SRT Ultra Marathon in Category 25km. To give a bit of the background about SRT Ultra, this was their second edition. SRT stands for the forts named Sinhagad, Rajgad and Torna. Its a mountain trail. Basically there are three categories in the event:

1. Sinhagad Vertical - 11 Km
2. Sinhagad to Rajgad - 25Km
3. Sinhagad To Rajgad To Torna - 53Km

The participants who finish the 25Km Race shall get 1 UTMB Points to their credit whereas the participants who complete the 53km Race shall get 3 UTMB points to their credit. UTMB stands for Ultra Trail - Mount Blanc, its another mountain trail which takes place in the Alps mountain range.

There is no pre-qualification criteria for the 11 Km event. However, to participate in the 25Km event one needs to complete a Half Marathon atleast before the date of SRT Ultra. And in order to participate in the 53Km event one should have completed a Marathon before the race day. Thankfully this year I had done a Half Marathon so qualification wasn't much of a trouble. Plus they do not have stringent rules for pre-qualification like the Tata Mumbai Marathon. So my seat was reserved for the event. I was a bit relaxed post registration as I had two Half Marathons registered each in October and November before the SRT event. So back of the mind I knew, that it would set the tempo.

Next step was to check out for accomodation. As soon as the window opened to check out the options (Room stay or Tent Stay) for reservation, I had contacted them. Kondhana Guest House near Sinhagad base was the official partner for accomodation. They charged 2000 per head for room stay and 1250 per head for Tent stay. I hadn't made up my mind as to what I should opt for as it was just September. Lot of things happened over the next two months, one of it was missing the October IIT Half Marathon, and by the time November sun had risen I had made up my mind to not attend the SRT event.

Though I was giving vague reasons but inside I knew the actual reasons were totally different. It is, however, not for this blogpost.

The Navy Half Marathon was scheduled for mid November. As I had already missed the October IIT Half Marathon, this was the last chance for me to qualify for Tata Mumbai Marathon 2020. Being made up mind in mid August, when I lost the chance to participate in the Tata Mumbai Half Marathon by one minute, that I shall give it all in the IIT Bombay HM and Navy HM to ensure qualification for TMM.  

With one already missed, now all I had to do was to ensure I complete the Navy event within 2Hours45Minutes and I will be through to the First Marathon of my life. This was the last chance to ensure my participation in the biggest event of the city. There was positivity too, as the Friday before the event  I did a practice run and completed it in 2Hours42Minutes. However things didn't go as per the plan and I completed the Navy Half Marathon in 2Hours54Minutes, 9 minutes above the official qualifying time. That closed the gates for TMM 2020 event.

As I mentioned above, somewhere in mid August I had made up my mind to start working in order to target the Full Marathon in Jan 2020. I had a certificate of Half Marathon, my first one, which was of 2H42M. But unfortunately that event wasn't an official qualifier, hence was not acceptable. Back in January 2019 after completing my second Dream Run category of TMM, I had said to myself that in the next 12months try to participate in TMM but not in the Dream Run again. After losing the opportunity for TMM Half Marathon, I had started plotting for the full event. Doing the Math of time required, the lowest possible speed which can still assure completion within the time frame of 8 hours and other such calculations were always going on in back of my head. However all that wasn't enough and now I will have to wait for another 12 months for it. 

With that done and dusted, it was coming out to be a not so good time with one event missed and one wherein I did't perform upto the mark in the span of less than two months. Also I had made up my mind to not attend the SRT Event in December. Hence that meant no more events in 2019.

Not sure if it was the not up to the mark Navy Half Marathon or non qualification for the Tata event but somehow I made up my mind to give a shot at SRT 25K event. It was already last week of November. And I had nothing figured out. So be it my accommodation, travel plans and how to do the trail run. Nor had I any idea whether I will be able to finish the race. But somehow I had made up my mind to go for it. I had a clarity in the back of my mind that it can be a DNF. In running events, DNF stands for Did Not Finish.

So with that one thought I started plotting my way again. First things first. Accommodation. I got in touch with the guys at Kondhana Guest House again to share the details of stay. This time though they only shared the details of room stay and not tent stay. However since I did get in touch with them when the window opened for booking back in September, I knew they had tent stay too. So I directly asked for the quote for tent stays. Post clearing my doubts, I made my reservation. Then the train tickets. As I didn't had any vehicle nor anyone was interested to drop me or pick me up, nor did I have license to take some four wheeler neither do I know how to ride a bike, so I had to figure the traveling mode by public transport only. I asked few people around who stay in Pune about any travel options. But their responses weren't satisfactory. So finally I got in touch with the organisers themselves. Previously when I got in touch with the Guest house guys they weren't able to provide any help. So I was a bit skeptical with the organisers as well. But they did guide me properly.

After reaching Pune, I had to walk till Shanivarwada. From there I was going to get a public transport bus number 50, whose last stop was Sinhagad base, where the Guest house is located. So traveling was confirmed. Now it was only the mental preparation for the race.

Being my first mountain trail, the thing that worried me most was of not getting lost. I hadn't did any trail running for practice but I did do a range trek from Rajgad To Torna. It gave an idea of the route and traverse. Before the race day I had only practiced on flat roads trying some elevation. Also I was looking out for options of quickbites that I should be carrying on the race to ensure hunger doesn't drain me out as most of the patch will be under the sun. With rains refusing to halt, there wasn't much cold. All this I had to do in a week time as hardly time was left.

Finally came the D-Day. I left Mumbai on 7th December, the day before the event. As instructed and planned above, I reached the guesthouse at 12:30Pm. The owner immediately recognised me when I told my name as I was the first person to book the tent. I paid the balance amount and they showed me the tent. As during treks, tents are normally shared between two or three people depending on the size of the tent. I was hoping to keep the number as low as possible to ensure a sound sleep. As to what happens when you don't get proper sleep before the event, Navy Half Marathon did give me clear picture of it. So when I went to the farm side of the guesthouse there I saw five tents already arranged side by side. I purposely selected the smaller one so that meant only I shall be staying in it. That addressed my fear of sleep. 

Another bad experience I had faced on one of the Range Trek was that they had not organised for foam sheets to be kept inside the tent. So we had to sleep, almost, on the ground. Luckily that wasn't going to be the case here as they provided a huge mattress. As soon as the helper guy had spread the mattress, I kept my bag inside, settled in and got myself changed. 

Since it was boiling outside, hence staying inside the tent was not an option. So after getting changed I moved out. Also the guesthouse didn't had any network for Airtel and Jio. Hence mobile entertainment was not possible. So I used this opportunity and kept my phone for charging in the owners cabin and decided to stroll around as lunch was getting ready.

The guesthouse was nestled beautifully amidst the mountains on three sides and a river flowing besides it. Perfect place to spend a weekend with nature. With my hands free from the phone, I was just walking casually around. Another guy was also walking in the same route. Finally we broke the ice and started talking. He was from Aurangabad. Surely more experienced than me as he had done the Sinhagad Epic Trail which is 42.2 Kms conducted by the same organisers in June every year. He too has plans to run the full Marathon at TMM. Oh yes, and that mention of TMM did hurt a bit as I had to say no I ain't running in the Tata event. Then we were having casual talks on the route and what to do and what not do types.

One good memory about this race was it gave me an opportunity to meet so many runners who have been running the ultra trail across the countries. Though I was amateur in those talks but I enjoyed each and every moment of it. I was taking in all the knowledge I was getting. I heard names of so many ultra trail held in India in different states. It was so mesmerising to hear the experiences from the runners themselves who ran the race. Though I was amateur but as I had done the trek Rajgad To Torna, I was surely adding value in the talks. To those who were running the full SRT (53Km) I was able to explain them how the traverse is, which patches are a bit tricky etc. So it wasn't that I was totally an odd man out. Our talks be it what happened in the lunch or over dinner were all part of knowledge cum experience sharing. So it was a fruitful day.

Coming back, as the guesthouse guys announced lunch is ready we (Myself and the Aurangabad runner) walked our way towards the buffet. Veg and Non Veg Menu was served and food was good. I had opted for Veg as I thought of keeping it light a day before race. As we both were relishing our meal, my eyes fell upon a guy whom I thought I knew. A few moments of flashback, while running on my home ground we have crossed each other paths but never waived, then more down the memory lane to know where I had seen that face and I was able to zero down to school. Well not waiving might be an option in the home ground as we have crossed paths always on the opposite direction. But here we were going to share a roof for almost 8-10 hours. As my lunch was done, I excused myself and walked towards him to break the ice. He did recognise me and he did knew my name but unfortunately I didn't. So we got reintroduced again. Such a small weird world. In same school for 12 years, never spoke. He stays in the same complex where I use to stay earlier but we never met. We met on the roads of our locality but had only eye contact. And here in the middle of hills in Pune we talk for the first time. Post ice breaker it was smooth. They were alloted rooms in a different resort as the current one was full. Though it was a bit far from our guesthouse where the race briefing, BIB distribution and meals were going to be served. But it was nearby from the starting point of the race. 

We both had one thing in common. We both were in obesity and had to take a journey of weight loss to reach where we are. He was, though, ahead of me in the running world. He had started his running journey a couple of years ago. He has already run the full marathon. We then talked about TMM. Well it would not be a exaggeration if I say that the most common discussion, as January was nearby, in the entire evening was whether you there for TMM? He was running the TMM, but I said I ain't this time as I didn't qualify. He said a nice motivating line on that, Life is long. It will happen eventually. Don't rush. 

Well, I can say it did feel a bit good. Though I still have to make my heart understand as letting go is never easy for me.

It was almost 3pm and the race briefing was suppose to start at 5pm. The guesthouse people had arranged for vehicles for those who had been alloted rooms in another resort. So they left to check in to their rooms and keep the bags. I went and collected my phone which was now fully charged. As the sun had mellowed down, i went in to my tent to just check and relax for few minutes. But the heat could still be felt so I couldn't stay inside for longer than 3-4 minutes. 

Hence continuing my solo walk was the only option left. With no internet and network, I kept my phone on flight mode. All ritual's of conveying the near and dear ones were done about reaching and lack of network. So I used this opportunity to click some pictures of the surrounding, my tent, the guesthouse. As I write this I feel I should have clicked with those whom I met or had conversation. Would have been a good memory.  

With tea came the the time for Race Kit distribution and race briefing. All this was quite exciting for me as it my first time. So I was basking in every moment of it. We collected out BIB and T-shirt and then sat down for the briefing of race route by the Race Director. They had apprised us that we will encounter general public on Sinhagad as it was a Sunday and it was supposed to be a favourite pass time of Punekars to spend their weekend on the fort. Once we begin the traverse then it is going to be only us with the nature. As I had mentioned above my biggest scare was only to not get lost in the traverse. They showed us a ribbon and said that these will be tied enroute as you begin the journey in traverse. So search for them which will be hanged on the trees. Also approximately 200 volunteers shall be present on the entire 53 Kms route. Though it was relief, but something's can be best understood only when you experience it. So I kept my fingers crossed. I had already downloaded the GPX file of the entire route in my phone. Since it was offline so network won't be a hindrance to view the route. 

Next detailing was about the Aid stations. Water stations will be available at 5km, 15km, 25km, 35km and at the end. So for my route, I was going to get two water stations. One was at 5kms which will be on top of Sinhagad. And one will be in a village while enroute to Rajgad base. One thing I learned from my experience in this ultra was you should be carrying some kind of eatables with you and should not be dependent on the aid stations. Though I had kept a simple sweet item in a box which is made up of jaggery (Khaja). Apart from that I had a 500ML bottle of Glucon D and another 750ML water. Earlier I had planned to keep 2Litres of water. But when I saw the water bags which the fellow runners were carrying, they did tell me that the maximum limit of a water bag is 1Litre. So generally that will be the amount of water most of them will be carrying. Hence I too dropped the idea of keeping my bag pack heavy. Also we had the option of filling our bottles again at the aid station too.

Another new thing I learned here was about gel. Ultra runners use it enroute as something for hydration as well as to provide body energy during the run. I noted the brand's name but I am yet to do R&D about the flavours and costs. Maybe before the February events I will do the same.

Coming back, after that the Race Director gave an idea of some of the tricky patches in the entire SRT route. Since I was doing the 25Kms category I only had one tricky patch that was while descending from Vinzaar Plateau. The race director informed that a rope has been installed to guide you while descending from Vinzaar. Next tricky patch was while descending from Sanjeevani Plateau of Rajgad and last one is while climbing Torna fort from Budhla Plateau. Same case, ropes were attached to guide the runners as well as volunteers will be available at those areas to provide guidance. During my trek from Rajgad To Torna I had experienced the latter two patches. So Vinzaar was going to be a new experience for me.

With that the race director concluded the briefing. There were some more discussion too however that was related to the 53km category. After the briefing, followed a guest address by a Belgium born Peter Van Geit. I was actually looking forward to this too as I have been following his stint in the Sahaydris wherein he climbed 200 Forts in two months. Born in Belgium and transferred to Chennai for work purpose. This guy fell in love with our country that he decided to stay here. He quit his high paying job and decided to live a minimalist life. He organises trekking and Marathon events in Chennai. He has climbed the peaks in Alps as well as the Himalayas and Vietnam. His ongoing mission was Trans Sahaydri where he was climbing 200 forts in two months by spending Rs. 200 per day. It indeed was a pleasure to listen to his experience, expertise. I still remember in November I was searching for apps wherein I could open the GPX files. And coincidentally, he did a Instagram post on which apps he uses while wandering in the mountains so one does not get lost in the traverse. After his speech, I too couldn't resist the chance of clicking a selfie with him. He is the first person from whom I have taken a memorabilia. Belonging to the autograph generation, I did forget to carry my book. Though I have Sachin's autographed bat, but we got that from a contact. So this one was a special one. I remember he joking about the timer in my front camera. I forgot that I had kept a setting of 3 seconds in my front camera before it got clicked. So when the timer started he said, "Oh so we have time to give the perfect smile". The joke that happened here was he did give a perfect smile but I was smiling so wide that I personally laugh when I see that picture.

With that, ended the race briefing and also the mercury had started to fall down. Since we all were in shorts we had begun to feel the chill. There was some time left before the dinner was to be served. So myself along with my school friend, his roommate and one more runner we sat down in the holding area and had one of the best conversation of the evening.

Our talks began from identifying the people who were professional athletes eyeing podium finishes in tomorrow's race. We were discussing about them and their achievements. Then our talks shifted to Ultra Marathon. Here I heard so many names of ultra event's that are conducted in India. Such a music it was to my ears that I was listening to every word with all my attention. One of the guy who had visited Sinhagad was explaining us how the climb is. I was able to provide them insights on the route from Rajgad to Torna. From routes, now we shifted to shoes. This area again I was an amateur as I knew I wasn't carrying Trail running shoes with me. So again I was hearing to the different types and varieties that are available in the market. Mentally I even shortlisted one too. Then one runner explained us his experience in one of the Ultra Marathon in the north amidst the snow. This was the point when I came to know that there are even such type of events which are categorised as self sponsored races. Even though you have to pay fees that shall be in six figures but you won't be having any aid stations enroute. You will have to have your own crew who shall provide you assistance in the race.

There was another group around us who too were into conversation. They had been to these forts so they were aware of the route as well. I also had one ear to their conversation. This evening was turning out for me like being thrown in the Money Tower of Uncle Scrooj of Duck Tales. I was taking in all that I could or my little brain could handle. And I must say, evesdropping isn't a bad thing sometimes. Let me explain you.

The group which was beside us were all communicating in marathi. So a lady came in there with her daughter. She has come to seek assistance about the route as she hadn't attended the race briefing. Though she was running the 25 Km category, but she was an ace runner who was scheduled to complete the Procam Slam of all Full Marathon which are organised in India. TMM was going to be her last part of the medal in the Procam Slam. After her introduction the guys started giving her idea about the route and all other things. In that conversation one guy told her to aim for 5 Kms per hour. If you can achieve that, 25 Kms will be over in 5 hours which is still and hour before the cut-off. Now this line got stuck in my head and that's what I did the next day in the entire journey. So you see evesdropping isn't always bad.

Finally, dinner was being served. Though I didn't wish the conversations to end but we needed to have our meals on time so we could catch-up with some sleep as we all had an early morning. Dinner again was nice. I had a sumptuous meal and we said our goodbyes. 

In the tent, I was now organising my stuff for tomorrow's event. My shoes, wrist band, knee cap, clothes, water etc. I had a word with the guesthouse owners and they had told that we will have to vacate the tent in the morning. So I readied both my bags (Race bag and the luggage one). The race kick off was 6Am. So we had to make a move by 5:15 from the guest house. Since it was tent stay, I knew there may be a queue for using the washroom in the morning. So I had kept my alarm for 3:30 AM in the morning. Phone was charged. So everything set. It was cold outside but luckily it didn't feel that much in the inside of tent. And with a blanket provided by the guest house people night sleep was not going to be of any trouble. So with everything in place I called it a day.

Next day morning, I was almost ready by 5 AM. I had kept my bag in the owners cabin. Their drop was ready till the Starting Point. The distance was approximately 2 kms which I could have walked as well. But then I had to walk in pitch dark and I hadn't bought the head lamp so it will be difficult to continue walking on some unknown persons torch light. Hence I took the front seat in the car who dropped me to the Starting point. The atmosphere was already buzzing. The ones who stay in Pune were the ones to reach early. The announcements were on to have your breakfast. Poha and Tea was on the menu. I was a bit skeptical whether to have or not? As eating something heavy before the race might not be good for stomach. But then assuming I may take almost 6 hours till I reach the finish point. It will better I eat something now. So I had the light breakfast and was just warming up for the race.

Finally the flag off was set. The dignitaries had arrived. Being in Pune, the main language was Marathi. So it felt home. There was also a statue of Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj on the podium. After all the initial hype the race kicked off.

Initial couple of kilometers were on road. However it was pitch dark and the road was uneven too. So I was running on other runners torch light or the moon light. Finally as we started the ascend to Sinhagad did the visibility improved. Also the running part was now halted as we had to walk to cover the 700 meters elevation to reach the top of Sinhagad. There was crowd too but thankfully people were making way for us after looking at our BIB numbers. I even overheard a few saying, "Arey he loka ikdun direct Torna la janar".

As we reached the first door of Sinhagad, sun could be seen in the horizon. I was clicking pictures as well enroute. By the time we reached the first aid station I had finished my 500ML Glucon D bottle. At aid stations there were chocolates, lemon water, biscuits, banana and water along with first aid. I refuelled my bottle took some chocolates in my pocket and a biscuit and started my run again. Now it was more of descending and traverse as the major elevation part in 25Km category had been covered. 

It was indeed a beautiful view across 360 degrees. Amidst the mountains, the wind blowing on your face as you pick up some pace. This part I had to be a bit more careful as my shoes weren't trail running ones so chances of slipping were a bit high. Route was a total mixed bag from here. Suddenly you climb, suddenly you descend. Then there comes a flat route. Then there is a jungle on the edge of the mountain. Sometimes while descending we could see a view ahead till our eyesight could reach. And there we could see our fellow runners.

There is a TV tower on top of Sinhagad. So when I use to halt to catch my breath I use to turn around to check my distance from the TV tower. That much far we had reached from Sinhagad. Occasionally my eyes were also on the clock to keep a check if I am within the 5Km per hour range.

Generally I avoid conversation enroute as it consumes energy, but in one case I couldn't resist. Since I had done Rajgad To Torna so the views weren't new to me. But for some they were. So there was one fellow runner (Non Maharashtrian) who was so mesmerised by the views that he said, "Next year me punha yein." While crossing path with him another guy, who was a Maharashtrian, had a smile too on his face just like me after hearing that comment. So I told him, in a light funny way, don't use that line. Our CM said it and he didn't come. 

After crossing some 10-12 Kms came the only tricky patch of our 25 Km category. The Vinzaar Plateau. As I saw from a distance the number of volunteers were 4-5 I assumed this is it. As generally, there use to two volunteers spread across the route. I kept my bottle in my bag as now both hands will be needed to hold the rope while descending. The moment I reached that spot my eyes went on my shoe laces which was loosesned. So I first thought of keeping the bottle in and then tying my laces. But the volunteer who saw that even before I could bend he went down to tie my shoe laces. It was a very awkward moment for me. As I don't like anyone near my feet. 

I got hold of the rope and started descending. Now I was in dual minds. Whether I should sprint with the support of the rope or try to go slowly. Back of the mind I knew my shoes may give away. But the slope was too good to resist and also an opportunity to cover time. So I gave it a go. First few steps were good. But then my palms started to feel the burn. Suddenly I realized that when we use a rope we generally wear gloves so our palms don't get hurt. As holding the rope directly will result in some friction which might cause burn injuries. As soon as I came out of those thoughts, I knew now it's of no use thinking of some backup option. So I was holding rope and leaving it when the burning sensation was high. Using this pattern, I had covered half of the tricky patch and that's when I slipped. I was running by holding the rope occasionally. So at one patch my right foot slipped coz of the mud and I fell on my bums. Thankfully I wasn't hurt and was back on my feet again. Someone from behind shouted, Aaramat. I just turned around to see who that person was and coincidentally he was the Aurangabad runner whom I met in the guest house. After that concentration was back on the hands holding the rope to keep a check on burns. Finally the rope patch was over. 

Well it did leave a mark on my t-shirt. As my clothes were wet on account of sweat so the mud got stuck and has left it's mark. But as a popular television ad says, "Kuch daag acche hotey hai".

Now, from here it was mainly descending part. We were going from one mountain to another. This was the patch were I could see fellow runner at a long distance as well be it ahead of me or behind me. Valley on both sides too. There were some climbs and some slopes. As we came down, I could sense we were nearing a village. Suddenly there was farm area and I could see more than one way. Also our ribbon was not visible. While looking for the road I had seen two kids sitting on a stone. As I was figuring out the way, I overheard them telling me "Dada Kahi Tari khau dya na". In confusion of not finding the route I said "Kahi Nahi aahe ga majyakade. Majha paani pan sampla" and I just showed them my bottle. Then suddenly I remembered I had taken chocolates. So I took them out of the pocket and gave it to both the kids. And asked them from where did other people go. Luckily they guided me and it was correct. 

As I entered the village, small kids were waving at us saying All the Best. It was so pleasant to hear those voices. It indeed gave us a smile. Then little ahead we got a water tank. The villagers did allow us to fill our bottles. I knew the next aid station was almost near so I filled only one bottle. And we continued and reached the aid station number two marking the completion of 15Kms of the race.

Here at the aid station, I decided to have a glass of lemon water to save myself from dehydration as the next patch was going to be a state highway and sun was climbing on top of us. With that glass I restarted the race now to the end. I don't remember the exact time at what time I reached the second aid station, but back of the mind I felt I could make it. All the time during the built up to the race I had it in my head that it can be DNF. And now I could see some signs of victory. But in Marathon event the last patches are generally more difficult as you know the end is almost there so you tend to lose on to some speed. Well it's not the case with everyone, ofcourse, but that has been my experience. 

So with that mental note I began my last patch. As it was on road there wasn't much fascinating thing in the remaining journey. Only two things happened in the final 10km journey that I do remember. One was a villager had kept a big water can for the runners. As I had completed almost 20kms I was out of water again. So that was of real help. I remember I had put on my glares and cap as the sun was in its full power. During that water break, I indulged myself in taking a selfie. 

In the last kilometer, I finally met my school friend. Though I didn't recognize him as I was busy making my final calculation till the finish line. He called my name and then we were talking. I could see the mighty Rajgad in front of my eyes. My friend looked into his watch and said, Good siddhesh, you are getting it done in 5 hours. Back of the mind I was very happy by those words. It was a big compliment especially when it came from someone who has ran a Marathon. Then he told me that you move ahead wrap it up as he will be going slow for sometime. So I started my last effort to the finish line which was now visible.

The moment I reached the spot and checked in my BIB to mark my end, that satisfying moment I just cannot express in words. I had made it. It was indeed precious. I looked around the surrounding and remembered that it was exactly the same spot from where I had started my Trek Rajgad To Torna. So the circle was completed. My friend crossed his third checkpoint and continued his journey towards Torna. I wished him All the Best and moved towards the medal collection area. 


PS: In the first line you may have read that the year is coming to an end. But this blog post came up in the new year. And a week has already passed. Well I have intentionally kept it that way. I started writing it in December itself but couldn't finish it as my more attention was on the Navi Mumbai Mayor Half Marathon which was supposed to take place on Sunday, the 5th of January 2020. As it was an official qualifier, I was hoping to achieve a decent time here so atleast I may qualify for the TMM in 2021. Thanks to the Super Power up above in the sky, I was able to complete it in a decent time which makes me eligible for Full Marathon event. Now keeping my fingers crossed. Lets see how this new year turns out. On that note, wishing you all a very Happy New Year.

PPS: May The Force Be With You !


-SR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.