Not sure when it was exactly, but I remember when Standard Chartered Bank was the title sponsor of Mumbai Marathon. This new tradition had kicked off in Mumbai. The inaugural edition was way too popular. People had literally watched it on TV. Though, like, every other event this was also lost its major chunk of audience. But enthusiasts ensured that it remained the talk of the town by their participation, which gets filled up in almost a day.
Even at my work place there were a couple of people who participate in such events.I am among those who wants to experience everything, this one too was there lying in deep corners of the head. Thanks to the Little Giant (Nikita Naik), it saw daylight on 21st January 2018.
Somewhere back in August 2017, Niki had all of a sudden messaged in our common group about the participation in this event. That time TGT was an idea that was only conceptualised. Research work was still On on how the execution will take place. I normally don't disagree to things which come ready on your plate. Where you didn't have to do any brainstorming or research work. So in this case also, I said Yes. There was hardly time for replying as the registration closes within a day. Kind off now or never question. All four (Manoj, Ajinkya and me) agreed and hence everyone did their registration and confirmed each other.
Post that, since there was a huge gap of almost 5 months between the race day and registration, we never had any talks or discussion on the same. By the time November arrived, TGT took off. So everyone got involved in back to back orders whereas I was involved in some exams. But that Marathon thing could never go away from my head. This is a trait I need to work upon. The thing that I was going to run a marathon was there in my head for almost all the days in those five months. I remember when I had joined gym (a short stint) I had in my mind this may help me in the Marathon. Too much thinking I do sometimes.
As 2018 sun rised, I had started checking the Marathon website. There I realized that they have an App on playstore. So I downloaded the same and was checking it's contents. That's when I came to know that we have to collect our BIB from the counters which were set up in the Bandra-Kurla Complex. I had taken the screenshot about the dates and time of their Expo. In the Maps section of the App they were saying that the Dream Run shall begin from Azad Maidan and end near the Metro Cinema. Roughly it was a distance of about 7Kms. When further scrolling I came across some new information. The Marathon 42Kms for amateur shall kick off at 5:40 Am whereas for the professionals it shall begin at 7Am. The former have 7 hours to complete the race inorder to ensure the Finisher medal whereas the latter were given a 3 hour window. When I read about the participant medal I immediately went across the Dream Run information area to check whether we also qualified for the same. Unfortunately, it was a No. Further scrolling, the Half Marathon was going to start from somewhere near Worli and conclude at Azad Maidan. There was a bus facility for participants of both the main events.
Prima facie dream run seemed to more of cause related than about racing. It was more about fun. We all couldn't agree on one timing to collect the BIB as everyone had some or the other commitments. Since i was involved in preparation of gift things for a friend's marriage, I could only visit the place the expo on its last day, which was also the day before Race. Manoj did not have any leave in that period. So he had outsourced his task to us. Niki was not able to come on the Saturday (the day I was Going to visit) as she had some function in her building. So she was planning for Friday. I couldn't make on that day so I planned for Saturday. We weren't sure whether the organisers would allow to collect BIB for more than two participants. Luckily, as against their huge words in the App, they allowed one person all the BIB of other participants by merely showing the confirmation email. Since Niki had visited the expo on Friday, she did the needful for all of us. They gave us a bag that was kind off a sack, a route map, Race Info Booklet, BIB, Pins to attach the BIB and Volini Spray. Well this complimentary was a bit relief after the disappointment that we won't be getting the participation medal.
Finally as the big weekend arrived. Manoj had checked and informed in our group the previous night that we have to reach 90 minutes prior to the race time. So we kept the target as 6:30. Ajinkya couldn't make it to the event as he had some other important commitment (We lost one Maggi here). After finalising the time, I switched on my alarms from 4AM until 7Am with a interval of 10Min and went to bed.
I am not sure whether it was the excitement of participation in the Marathon, wearing a number on my chest after my Primary School days or the nervousness of whether I will be able to run the distance or not. Whatever may be the reason, it opened my eyes at 3:45 Am. I was glad that I woke up on time, but I wasnt aware that a surprise awaited me. Niki had messaged at around 2 in the night that she won't be able to make it any time before 7:45. And she also asked Manoj to check where he got the info of 90 minutes prior Race check in. So with wide open eyes, I went in the App and downloaded the Race Day Book for Dream Run. There it was mentioned that we have to reach by 7AM. Deadline for gate closure was 8:20. And BIB was compulsory at the entry. So I posted all this info with screenshots in our group. Manoj was awake by that time and he asked whether we should change schedule or come as decided at 6:30. I now thought, we can't enter until Niki comes as she has all our BIB. So I posted let's try to reach by 7Am. Then we will see how it works out. After that I was just lying on the bed surfing my phone, as sleeping was not an option. If I sleep now then no alarm can wake me up. It was beyond 5Am by now, and suddenly the realisation happened. Not a single alarm, from 4Am, had buzzed uptill now. So I just dropped in to check the settings and gave a round applause to myself. All the alarms were set for Monday. So nervousness cum excitement had done the trick, else I would have repeated what happened during our Upwan trip.
After some lazy YouTubing, finally at around 5:45 I started my morning chores. Took a cup of hot milk and bread and left by 6Am. When I was walking towards station Niki dropped her first message. So that confirmed our gate pass was awake. While in the line for buying railway tickets I saw 2-3 people with the same Marathon bags. The mood was setting in now. But when I reached platform and checked the train indicator, a nostalgic feeling gripped me. I was going to board the same train which we use to take for our regular 7AM lecture back in college days. Though the timing was different, as time table do changes every now and then. So just to confirm my gut was right I checked M-Indicator and bingo. It was the same Thane local.
As I boarded the train, there were many more with the same bags or BIB in their hands. As if it was the marathon train. Looking at a BIB in the hand of a person sitting opposite to me I realized I had forgot to take the Pins. I then posted in the group for the same to which Niki said organisers have provided us in the kit. So, relaxed, now I was just sitting and preparing my Marathon Playlist in Wynk that should last atleast over an hour.
Train journey was comfortable. There were people from HDFC Ergo, some from TCS, more groups in yellow and red. The mood was all for Dream Run. HDFC guys chit chatting gave an update that India won the Cricket World Cup for Blind by defeating Pakistan. At around 7:10, train reached its destination. I updated the same in the group.
The platform was all filled with Marathon participants. Big placards, banners, corporate groups, flags were at display. Cheering slogans were reverberating all around. As I came out of the subway the theatre began. Both sides of the footpath were covered with AD Banners. A small FOB was created which dropped us at Gate No. 5 of the Azad Maidan entrance. Police were checking the bags of all entrants. Since I had read in the booklet that barcode will be scanned at the entry points. But no such device was there in the hands of those police so I assumed they are only there for checking baggage. So I was about to walk-in when I heard them asking for the BIB. I quietly went on the left side road and started my waiting period.
Huge number of police were deployed including the NSG. Many groups were assembling at the entry point. Clicking selfies was a by default activity. Or rather should I say an important activity. Some people were coming out with towels on their back and Finishers medals in their neck. These were the Half Marathon people. They were provided Sandwiches, among other things, in their Nutrition packs. So I assumed we might as well get the same. Many other groups were decked up in various costumes. Each one supporting some or the other cause. All of a sudden an ambulance arrived at the entry point. I thought it might be it's parking place. But then a participant got down from the vehicle. He seemed to had suffered an injury on his right leg due to which he was limping. He was asked to go inside the gate as medical camps were on the ground. I overheard a random conversation of a lady where she was telling the some guy on phone "how did you reach Gate no 8, we are standing at Gate No 5". I was like if my two guys do something like this then I am sure to miss the run. For the roads are barricaded from many sides which meant very less travel routes. So I was calling and trying to get in touch with them, but there was no response. After sometime Niki messaged that she is at Reay Road on her scooty. Also Manoj was with her. So now the wait period was about to last some more time. I just messaged them my location. GPS wasn't working so had explained them orally.
Many people, typical Indians, were trying to sneak in but the security had beefed up now that the race was about to kick off. They ensured not a soul checked in without the legal number. Among the group's a NGO named Vidhya was also checking in now. I recognised them since our company has a tie up with for CSR activities. The kids from their NGO recently visited our office. Behind me the 21 KM half marathon runners were heading towards the finish line. There wasn't much there around from a observers point of view. And I was literally feeling sleepy by then for I had woke up at 3:45 and most importantly had no tea yet. Finally at around 8Am when I called them for an update on their current position, they had parked the scooty and were now heading towards the CST subway.
The race had started and we entered Azad Maidan. I got my hand on my bag which we received complimentary and which Niki was trying to hide from me. Immediately took out the BIB and had my moment of flashing it to the police before entering the ground. The walk was long towards the starting point. Enroute we were attaching the BIB to our T-shirt while Manoj kept losing his pins. They had divided the entry points in three parts: Men with baggage, Women with baggage and Men/Women without baggage. We got into our respective lines and were moving slowly. They were scanning our barcodes. Not sure why though, for we haven't received even a certificate of participation.
Once the formalities were done we were just going with the flow. There was huge crowd, almost 40-44K people had registered for the event. While walking we were clicking pictures as well. From the starting point, though the name has Run in it, it was just a walk in park. Dream run is more of theatrics. Fashion show. Platform for NGOs. At the starting point a contingent of IRCTC was ahead of us. Then there was group who had potrayed a huge Make In India Lion with arrows pierced in its body showing how the government has betrayed us. There was lady who was carrying a banner for saving mother tongue. And so on the fashion show began.
We started from CST area and were heading towards Churchgate. I had read in the mass mailers shared by organisers on how to keep yourself hydrated. Though we weren't running, yet there was no loss in drinking water. One good thing was at display was people were using dustbin to throw bottles. Hardly there were any lying on the road. I remember one occasion near Hutatma Chowk where people were keeping all the bottles on the divider of the road as there was no bin in the nearby vicinity.
We passed from the Churchgate station and were near the Parsi Ice-cream shop. A small discussion happened on the hotel Ambassadors' top floor rotation and then the walkers reached at the Chudamas quote area at Marine Drive. We could see many make shift stages created on the seaside of the road. There was group of kids who were cancer patients, they were singing some metal songs. A group was promoting Swacch Bharat by singing a self created song which ended with something like "Swacch Bharat Ho". There were also pointers on the road showing the number of kilometres you have travelled uptill now.
We took the U-Turn near the Trident Hotel. The local residents were offering Parle-G biscuits to the runners. At one junction, we came across the 42KM Marathon runners who were now nearing their finish line. Have to salute their Endurance level. I can't think of a 10Km race, and here these guys were coming after covering almost 35-40 Kms. Among the celebrity list we only came across Priya Dutt.
As we reached the next U-Turn near Marine Drive flyover, the sun had started to pour on us. And that started having impact on my head, for I had no tea in the morning. This was the last patch of the race. As the flyover ended we reached the Parsi dairy on the right side and Kyani and Co on the left. I remember people at the starting point talking about having tea at Kyani during the waiting period. It was totally full. We were able to see the finish line which was technically, and as mentioned in the booklet, diagonally opposite Metro theatre. I stopped my pacer app and checked our stats. We had taken around 1Hour 20Minutes to complete the roughly 7 km walk.
After the finish line, that was at the start end of the Fashion Street, we again entered the Azad Maidan. Now it was time for Nestle Nutrition. Nestle was the sponsor, but I am really not sure what were they thinking when they planned to give Maggi noodles in the nutrition pack. I mean how were we supposed to make them and eat them on the road. The other things in the pack were a frooti type juice, one orange, one apple, one munch, one tissue paper. I could only have the munch so kept all the remaining things in my bag. We took a break for 5Minutes under a shade. I was drinking that frooti to get some energy till we reach our houses. I also used the opportunity to transfer our pictures from Manoj cell phone. The heat was showing its signs now in my head as I could feel mild headache.
While we left Azad Maidan, we did a small wrong thing which we shouldn't have done. We broke the barricades and crossed the 42Kms runners path. After reading the newspaper reports, the next day, about complaints from athletes did we realize our mistake. Bidding each other the Sayonara we left for the day. Like i said before, this wasn't in my ToDo list. But if option given I was surely going to join in. It was a great experience. But need to built up more energy now for we have committed to participate in the Half Marathon i.e. 21Kms in its next edition in 2019.
Hasta - La - Vista !!!
-SR.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.