Sunday, 21 June 2015

आयुष्य विद्येच्या माहेरात - I


Samudra Manthan was going on in my life in the monsoon of 2010. With results not changing at all in professional exams, there was some setback also at personal level. Lonely feeling had takeover. I desperately needed a break. The same time one my friend who also didn’t clear the same exam suggested an idea of changing the center. Hence we mutually decided to shift to Pune.

The fact that I was about to live a hostel life excited me very much. It was one from my ToDo list atleast once in Lifetime. Personal setback had taken a toll. Everyday was kindoff frustrating. I was angry, upset, feeling guilty, confused all at the same time. When relationships are involved in the same group, there breaking apart has serious repercussion on everyone in the group. They are all in a dilemma. That’s the reason why I decided to stay away from all of them, so even they get time to adjust and come out of all this.

On Ganesh Chaturthi, I packed my bags. Luggage was dead heavy as one full bag was just filled with books. Another haversack was for my clothes. Had to take extra so there won’t be much of a trouble of buying new stuff. By hook or crook I had made up my mind I am going. But the big hurdle was money. I had ended up spending in six figure in 2.5 years of being together. So I was officially broke. I prepared a budget considering all possible expenses and it was going in negative. Still I didn’t budge. Coz the idea of living a hostel life and need of staying away from this regular routine was necessary. So avoiding all the negative factors I just went ahead by taking a leap of faith.

As I boarded the bus, I called up my friend in Pune so he could come at the station to pick me up as I was not aware of the place. Journey through Mumbai-Pune Expressway was fascinating as always. Views of the ghats in the rains was just awesome. However a surprise awaited for me as I reached the new city. I did tell my friend earlier to reserve a place for me in his room. But the owner didn’t allow an extra man in the room of six. So now I had to stay in a separate room.


Normally I am excited to stay outdoors. But don't know why on that particular day I was getting homesick. The fact that I will have to stay away from the only person I knew in that city made me a bit restless. Already my I wasn’t in a good frame of mind. And now living alone was adding more fuel to fire. Somehow I collected myself I started the walk towards the new room. My friend saw the sense of homesickness and decided to stay for the night as I was going to be alone in that room, as other room mates being out of town. The first night was very difficult so also the morning. One of the room mate dropped in to take my share of deposit money. This just wasn’t feeling good. I was getting thoughts of packing my bag and returning home all the time. After lunch on the first day, we went to watch a movie. I guess that really helped, as I settled down a bit and accepted the fact that I can’t runaway. Evening did bring a good news finally. My friend talked with their owner and also his room mates whether they can adjust me as it is just a matter of 3 months. Fortunately they all agreed. The owner also cracked a deal on the amount of rent which was apparently lower as compared to other guys. Though he didn’t provide me a bed, so I had to put mine on the floor. But that didn’t make a difference at all. As atleast I am going to be among people who I knew. I readily shifted and paid the full amount as per the owners demand.

It was a huge sigh of relief. Something good finally happened since I came to this new city. Finally I was with some good people. My friend has told lot about them how cooperative they are with him. I was also hoping against hope, that atleast I be accepted in the house.

I wrapped up all my load from the old house to shift in the new one which I can call a home away from home. I agreed to stay in the kitchen. It was not the actual kitchen as nothing was ever cooked there. So just another room. The capacity per room was 6, which was already full. I being the extra, was not allotted a bed. The owner gave me many reasons in all the time of my stay but I knew since day one I may not be getting any bed.

But that wasn't the concern in my head. As I barely could contain my excitement. The other day, which apparently was my first day, I had talked about leaving the city and going back as staying alone was going to be difficult. But now I was in a room where I atleast knew one person and through him I may know others. In all the excitement I did had a grain of doubt in back of my mind. Will the other guys accept me? I mean it's quite simple logic. Had I been in their place, I also wouldn't be excited of new entrant who got special entry even when the room was already full and also got a discount in rent. This much reason was enough to piss anyone and stay forever unwelcoming towards me till the date I'll be in the city.

Thank God though, these nightmares didn't come true. Each and everyone was helpful and welcomed me with open heart. Lets start with a small introduction of my new family.

Mane: He was my friend, and the only friend when I stepped in this city for the first time. We met in the CA course somewhere back in 2006 and ever since we have been friends.

Nilesh: There is a belief that it is difficult to make friends in just few months of interaction. But this guy proved it all wrong. I was so lucky to find a friend as Nilesh. It's been 5years since the first time we met. I still remember I was sitting casually on a bed, which belonged to Mane, and suddenly my friend introduced me and Nilesh. Nilesh was back from some trip that day and was enjoying the view in the mirror. When Mane did the formal introduction, I just got up to say something while shaking hands. But I was so confused that even I don't remember what exactly was I saying which was apparently our first conversation. Nilesh realised I was kinda nervous and he just shook my hand, smiled and said Ok. Our beginning was messy but after some days the comfort level was such as if we knew each others for years.

Adv.Nagesh: He and I were of the same age. But his personality was much matured than me. He was like the father figure in the room. A practising lawyer. I did encounter a small problem during my stay which I will elaborate later. When things were going beyond my control I thought of telling everything to Nagesh. It wasn't anything like I will be needing a lawyer. It was a sense security I got once I said to him.

Prakash Gunale: Among the old tenants. Prakash was working in some manufacturing company. His younger brother also used to stay who was in his 12th STD. Prakash stayed to himself in the intital days. His room was in the bedroom and their door always used to be shut. After a few days we all got together. Very simple guy, down to earth. Never gave that 'You are an outsider look'. Another good friend.

There was another guy from UP, i forgot his name. He used to work in some company, I guess a bank. He was allotted the kitchen.

After being introduced with everyone, it was time to decide where was I going to sleep. Mane talked with the UP guy. He said its fine, he can sleep in the room. So with that confirmation, finally I became a official member of the house. But my problems just began. I did get a room, but without a bed. And under the impression that I will be getting a bed, I had only brought one blanket to cover myself. If use it as blanket, I have to sleep on the floor and vice versa.

Considering it as my first day, borrowing was not going to be a good option. I thought for a while, tired to settle in the room. Coz I was sitting fulltime in outside room chit chatting, but my room to sleep was in the kitchen with the North Indian guy with whom I wasn't fully introduced yet. After taking stock of few things I decided to use my blanket as bed for the first night. Another important thing missing from the sleeping kit now was pillow. Again,borrowing was not an option. So I brought my haversack near my head and used it as a pillow and slept. I knew I have to bear the chilled floor for the entire night, neck might pain coz of such a huge pillow. But these things didn't matter actually. As my mind was at peace. That I was among people whom I know, or atleast would love to know. So it was the first peaceful good night in Pune.

Back in Mumbai, my parents got tired asking me to get up at 5in the morning. I don't know why, but it always seemed impossible task. Here it was cake walk. With the first alarm ring I used to get up without any laziness of '5 more minutes sleep'. May be I had a fear in back of my mind, that if I get up late and disturb other room mates schedule I might get in their bad books in the initial days itself. And this fear kept me on my toes till the last day.On first day, though, I wasn't awake at exactly 5. I did wrap up all my morning activities quickly. Except me and Mane, all were office goers. So delay was not going impact much to us than them. I remember apologising to Prakash when he got up incase I had disturbed their daily schedule. Forunately, I didn't. So a new day began in Pune.

It was already mid September. Back in Mumbai, it is time for rains to go away. But here they are in full throttle. Due to this the atmosphere was also very much cold in the night. Now that I had nothing to sleep upon as getting a bed from the owner was a distant dream I called up home and asked if anyone can drop around. Brother and father were going to come in the last week of the month. I asked them to bring along a mattress and a pillow.

First morning from Sarang Society was really a fresh beginning. Oh, I forgot, that was the name of the building. The owner had a small bunglow inside the complex and two buildings for hostel. Mane and me decided to have a  lazy start. Shailesh had come to Pune in August. So he was quite settled already, with the surrounding areas. I took a few books and Mane took his usual bag an we left for the day. Just below our buliding we had our breakfast, my favorite Poha and Chai. After which we proceeded towards our library. This place was going to be my second home in Pune.

There is something with the word Home. When I used to be in outstation sometimes for a week or sometimes for 15 days a stretch, there we use to stay in hotel or bunglows as per the client. The bunglows would be just like home. But I never ever called them home This was the first time I was calling a place outside Mumbai as my home.

After a brief walk from our new home, we reached the library. It is hardly a 15 minute walk. It isn't typical library which we may picture once we hear that name. It can be more specifically called a study room. There were benches like the ones we had in our school minus the desk. From its entry door, one gets a view of the entire room. There was a table on the right side as soon as one enters the room. That table is for our tifin which comes from the mess. Beside the table there is a big green board. Though it's not used at all. On every benches you will find piles of books together. These are kept by all members. Instead of carrying it everyday home and back, people keep it on the desk. Besides these tall structure one will find people sitting with their heads immersed in books.

The librarian generally comes in the afternoon or evening no fixed time as such. So I walked in and went were Shailesh had kept all his books.

Day one in the library was surely not going to be productive. I for one is among those who can't stay quiet for long time. Though these days I have altered my behaviour a bit. As sometime I end up hitting an axe on my own feet. So I try be choosy when it comes to initiating talks. There were poeple from different fields under one roof. CA, CS, ICWA, IAS, IPS, MPSC, ENGG, DOCTORS, LLB, PG etc. You name a course and chances are there will be atleast one guy studying that particular subject. Shailesh had already made a small group to have lunch together. Ironically, he knew them for more number of period than me, still at the end of our trip I had a great rappo with all them.

I was letting things to sink in, breathing new air. It was not as if for the first time I was sitting in a library. Even in Mumbai we used to be in the library for almost entire day and night as well. Nights especially in library are always adventurous. Will explain the nights of Mumbai library on some other day. Shailesh already told that he would prefer full day rather than sitting in night. So I also followed the same schedule. But the thought was their in the back of my mind. As clock kept ticking, it was getting more and more heavier to sit at one place. So I went down in search of a Chai Tapari, as this is the first basic thing I need around my library. The location of library was on a highway. Across the street there was a mall. And just at the entrance of that mall there were 2-3 Chai Taparis. Gulped a cutting and came back.

While coming up I was thinking of my lunch. I had not asked for any tiffin from the mess yet. It were just the initial days. And I was short of cash. I didn't want to borrow any money from my parents. This was my decision. Hence I should be the one to bear the cost till the end. Therefore I had to keep my spending at it's very low inorder to be sure that I will have money till the end of the trip. Already my Rs. 2K were blocked with guy were I stayed previously. And then I paid for the current rent which was some Rs3K. Working in a CA firm, salary figure was in four figures. And already I had spent a lot in the past which didn't turn out to be good investment. So I had to be more thrifty. Ofcourse that wasn't the reason I did not apply for mess tifin. In our library there were two guys who were providing tiffin. So I just wanted to analyse which one is better in case of quality, quantity and budget and then start my tiffin. Untill then I used to go to a nearby eatery and bring chapatis and Shailesh used to share vegetable from his tiffin.

After lunch, everyone in the library use to sleep between 2pm-215. It was kinda power nap. Some from my group would sleep for a hour who all use to stay in the night. This was a routine. Sometimes the librarian use to come in the afternoon just to wake up everyone. I still don't know what satisfaction he got by doing that. Even here I used to get up exactly after 15minutes that to without any alarm. Sometimes when things have to happen then no force can stop it from happening. It was something like that.

After our power nap, again back to books. That was the basic reason why I came to Pune. So that there should be no distraction other than books. Had I stayed back in Mumbai, life would have been more difficult. It is unfortunate that I couldn't achieve the main target for which I came for the trip. But lot of baggage of the past was cleared thus making things quite simple.

The dinner in the night use to come at 845. By 7pm everyone use to be exhausted. Shailesh also use to come down. Normally he doesn't comes for chai breaks, except in the evening. After our tiffin use ti arrive, we used to go running to the terrace to relish the food. After which pack our bags and move towards our room. Like us, many use to stay in hostel or PG. So no one was answerble to anyone back home, why not coming, where are you now and those typical questions. After reaching the room by 930, other mates also use to arrive by that time. Then it was time for fun, danga masti untill late night 1am. Discussions on all types of topics, dancing and what not.

This use to be my regular day in Pune. Day in day out. Same schedule. In the later parts, I will share about important incidents which happend during my stay which will be staying with me forever.



-SR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.